OzTREKK - Study in Australia OzTREKK - Study in Australia OzTREKK - Study in Australia
Undergraduate Programs
College Articulation
Environmental Science
Health Sciences
Occupational Therapy
Public Health
Speech Pathology
Teacher Education
Veterinary Science
Study Abroad

Graduate Research at Australian Universities

  • Graduate Research at Australian Universities

Canadian university graduates who wish to undertake independent, original research and potentially make a unique contribution to an existing body of knowledge, spend considerable time exploring higher degree research opportunities. Combining an international education experience while undertaking postgraduate research in Australia, can result in academic supervision and teaching from cutting-edge researchers who are world renowned in their fields of study.

Postgraduate research degrees are ideally suited for graduates wishing to enter academic life or to work as a researcher in their chosen field. Under expert academic supervision, postgraduate research students focus on an original, substantial research project. Entry usually requires an Honours year of study, which includes an Honours thesis or major research project. Some degrees may combine research with professional experience and/or coursework.

Most Australian universities offer Graduate Schools to support their many research students, and offer a range of services to assist students in developing high-quality, practical research skills and preparing them for positive employment outcomes.

Additionally, scholarships for international students are primarily reserved for those undertaking research at the postgraduate level. Each university awards International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS), which are funded by the Australian Government, with the aim of attracting top quality international postgraduate students to areas of research strength in higher education institutions, as well as advancing Australia's research effort. Most universities also allocate additional scholarships for international research students. Canadians interested in undertaking research at an Australian university should note that scholarships are competitive, even for research students.

Postgraduate research degrees include:
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
Masters by research, which can have various titles at different institutions
Professional doctorates

Before you submit an Australian university application for postgraduate research to OzTREKK, it is helpful to:
-ensure you meet basic entry criteria, which generally includes the completion of research in your undergraduate studies and good academic standing
-choose a research topic or specific area of research
-outline a brief proposal of your research topic and make contact with the faculty at your university of choice, with the aim of securing a potential thesis supervisor
-submit a formal application for admission to OzTREKK. Please contact OzTREKK if you require a university application form.

Students from Canada, who wish to undertake research at an Australian university, find OzTREKK services helpful as they make the transition to live in Australia for a considerable length of time. In order to access OzTREKK's services, research candidates must submit a completed university application to OzTREKK.

The following universities offer postgraduate research degrees:

Bond University
Griffith University
James Cook University
Macquarie University
Monash University
University of Melbourne
University of Newcastle
University of Queensland
University of Sydney

The OzTREKK Admissions Officers for Postgraduate Research is Charlynn Lecompte.

Only OzTREKK gives you invaluable guidance and inside information about Australian universities—for free.