+ OzTrekk Educational Services Home

Posts Tagged ‘applying for a student visa’

Thursday, October 11th, 2018

How to Get from Eh to Oz: Student Visa Tips

How to Get from Eh to Oz: Student Visa Tips

Okay, folks! It’s time to talk about getting your Australian student visa!

Keep in mind that OzTREKK is not an official immigration agent of Australia, and so while we are happy to provide you with information and guidance about requirements in general, you will need to contact the Global Service Centre in Australia directly with any specific visa-related questions. Of course you’re welcome to run things by us first, but you will usually need to confirm details with the visa office.

Onward! Here are some important tips for you to consider before, during, and after you complete the application.

Australian Student Visa Application Tips

How to Get from Eh to Oz: Getting your student visa

Valid Passport
Have a valid Canadian passport before you apply for your visa. If you renew your passport after applying for your visa, your passport number will not match your visa details. It is best to apply for your student visa with the passport you will use to enter Australia.

Health Check
At the end of your online visa application session, you will be notified if you are required to have a health check. You are encouraged to complete your online visa application before you book a medical appointment with a panel doctor. If you are required to do a medical exam/health check, it must be done by one of the doctors in Canada who have been approved by the Australian High Commission. These doctors are referred to as “panel doctors.”

Learn more about arranging your health examination. (https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Heal/meeting-the-health-requirement/arranging-a-health-examination)

Learn more about approved Australian visa panel doctors across Canada. (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/contact/offices-locations/canada)

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
This section simply asks you to indicate that you are entering Australia for genuine reasons and provides you with a section to write a statement and upload documents. As a student, you will want to cover things such as your choice of course, your choice of education provider, your choice to study in Australia, what benefit you believe your study will have for your future career plans and what ties you have to your home country. As well, you could include a copy of your offer letter or anything else you think might support your being a genuine student.

Financial Capacity Requirements
You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you to pay for your course fees and travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members (if applicable) while you are in Australia. You might need to provide evidence of your financial capacity with your visa application. If you need to provide evidence of financial capacity, you will be able to demonstrate this by providing one of the following:

  • Evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months’ living, course and (for school-aged dependents) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members
  • Evidence that you meet the annual income requirement
  • A letter of support from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.

Response Times Vary
Application response times can vary. Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis, and actual processing times vary due to individual circumstances including

  • whether you have lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting documents;
  • how promptly you respond to any requests for additional information;
  • how long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided; and
  • how long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements.

Declare All Family Members
Declare all family members on your application, even if they do not plan to travel with you to Australia. If you do not do this, your family members will not be eligible to join you in Australia on your student visa. If you did not declare a family member and they need to join you in Australia at a later date, you will need to apply for a new student visa including them and explain why they were not included on your application. An exception to this is if they became your family members after your student visa was granted and before a subsequent application is made.

OSHC Policy Number
Ensure you have OSHC policy number. If you purchased this through the university, your CoE should have this. If it’s not there, let your OzTREKK admissions officer know right away. If you have purchased your OSHC independently, the policy number will not be on the CoE, but you will want to have that available to you for the visa application. If you have a partner and/or a child coming with you, they need to be on your visa and your OSHC plan.

You can log in to your ImmiAccount (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/immi) at any time to check the status of your visa application. Your student visa grant notification will be emailed you by the Australian government. It’s a good idea to save this email and print out a copy of the email and take it with you in your carry-on luggage to Australia.

Need more student visa tips? Check out Tips to prepare your Australian student visa application!

Coming up next on your predeparture journey… accommodation!  And don’t forget: if you need help at any time, please feel free to contact us at info@oztrekk.com or call toll free at 1-866-698-7355.

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017

Tips to prepare your Australian student visa application

Do you have a Confirmation of Enrolment? Applying for your student visa is the next step on your journey to study in Australia!

From July 1, 2016, all student visa applications must be made online. The Australian Government has some helpful info to assist you with preparing your visa application.

Tips to prepare your Australian student visa application

Get more pre-departure info on the OzTREKK Boarding Pass website

Tips to prepare your student visa application

Use the Document Checklist Tool on the website to see what types of documents you will need to provide with your application. Please note that once you have started your application you can save it at any time; you don’t have to complete your application in one sitting.

  • Make sure you have access to a scanner as you will need to provide certified copies of documents. There is information available to help you prepare your application.
  • You are encouraged to complete your health examinations before lodging your visa application using My Health Declarations. You will need a current passport and must know which visa subclass you are applying for (Student 500 or Student Guardian 590). If you complete your health examinations after you have lodged your application, you could delay the processing of your application.
  • Evidence of enrolment: If you are outside Australia, you must include your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) number in your visa application.
  • Make sure you know the details of your health insurance before you start your application—even if your provider has arranged this for you. You will need to enter the start and end date of your policy. Your policy must have started by the time you intend to arrive in Australia, generally at least a week before your course commencement date. If your policy starts on the same day as your course commences, you will be asked to obtain extra cover that starts when you intend to arrive in Australia. If you enter Australia without Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), you will be in breach of your visa conditions. Your OSHC should finish when you want to leave Australia. A visa won’t be granted for longer than your OSHC.
  • Prepare a brief statement about why you want to study in Australia, in English, at Genuine Temporary Entrant. There is a maximum limit of 2,000 words but the statement does not need to be this long. Consider
    • why you have chosen your course and provider;
    • if the qualification you gain will help you find employment or improve your salary outside of Australia;
    • your incentives to return home, including ties to your home country;
    • any gaps in study or work history.

You can also attach evidence to support your statement with your application, including evidence of employment or qualifications.

  • Before lodging your application, make sure all questions are complete and any relevant documents that are included in the checklist are attached. Incomplete applications may result in delays or visa refusal. If you need to provide additional documents after lodging your application, do this through ImmiAccount. Do not email or courier documents to the Department as this may delay processing of your application.

Tips to avoid common mistakes in the application form

  • Read the help text in the visa application form.
  • Only select “Yes” to the question “Is the applicant receiving partial or full funding under a training scheme approved by the Commonwealth Government of Australia” if you have been advised by your provider that you are sponsored by the Commonwealth.
  • Answer the questions about your citizenship and passport carefully to make sure correct information has been provided, otherwise your application could be delayed.
  • Remember to lodge your application as soon as you can. Complete applications are more likely to be processed quicker. Most OzTREKK students receive their student visas within a four weeks, usually sooner; however, some applications will take longer.

Please note that OzTREKK cannot answer specific questions regarding your student visa as we are not registered with the Australian Government as an official migration agent. You can find more information about applying for your student visa at http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Info


Do you have any questions before you leave for Australia? Contact us at info@oztrekk.com. We’re here to help!