Pharmacy, pharmaceutical sciences, potato, potahtoh. What’s the difference?
On one potato, if you are interested in science and healthcare, and enjoy communicating with people, then the Bachelor of Pharmacy is for you—it’s the degree you need to be a pharmacist. Pharmacists are
- directly concerned with people’s health and well-being;
- work as members of a healthcare team;
- provide advice on the safe and effective use of medicine;
- actively involved in patient care in hospitals and the community; and
- medicine experts, who can also work in government, industry, research and clinical-trial roles.
On the other potahtoh, pharmaceutical science is a broad discipline and a thriving sector within a large and essential industry. When you graduate from this degree, you don’t graduate as a pharmaceutical scientist—you graduate as a pharmaceutical scientist with a particular specialisation and multiple career options. Although understanding medicines is a central focus of the course, the skills you’ll learn will translate to many different chemistry-related jobs. Graduates can be found in industries from paint to cosmetics, from drug development to food manufacturing.
Pharmaceutical scientists are
- experts in the chemistry, biology and biotechnology required to design and develop medicines;
- key players in improving human health and well-being by researching and developing reliable, accessible and effective treatments;
- experts in bringing safe and effective products to market as they understand the impact of medicines on the body and diseases.
If you enjoy solving problems, love chemistry or biology, and want to improve human health, then a pharmaceutical science degree could be your calling. It equips you to work in the pharmaceutical science and biomedical fields.
About the Monash University Bachelor of Pharmacy Program
If you’re interested in studying pharmacy or pharmaceutical science, we’ve got great news: Monash Pharmacy is ranked #2 in the world and #1 in Australia according to QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017.
Program: Bachelor of Pharmacy / Master of Pharmacy
Location: Parkville campus, Melbourne, Victoria
Semester intake: February
Duration: 5 years
Application deadline: While there is no set application deadline, applicants are strongly encouraged by to submit their applications as early as possible.